Friday, January 7, 2011

Gdiapers

Well, I am fruuugallll. As far as you can stretch the word, I try to stretch my money. I mean I hate spending money. I get some sort of weird high from saving money. I assume I got it from my dad, but I remember my favorite part of going grocery shopping was a kid was watching how much money came off the total after the cashier took our coupons. That being said, I don't buy something on sale just because I can get it cheep, like those extreme coupon people I saw on TV.

So my best friend in town exclusively cloth diapers. My husband is an environmentalist and my mother in law exclusively cloth diapered. So with Gwin, my oldest, I was pushed hard to cloth diaper. I didn't. I have always been opposed to cloth diapering for myself. I don't like poop. I don't really like the diapering process at all. In fact, I started potty training my older girls at 20 months so I could get them out of diapers faster. So in 10 months, look out for a potty training post.

Well, I have caved. I have given in to something that people are no longer pushing me to do. In fact, it was my idea. ( Is that a sign of being stubborn?) I have been eyeing the gdiapers for months. I love that they are cute, have an option for cloth, and an option for disposable. I thought, these are for me. So with a sale on the diapers and a 30 percent back incentive I bought 6 little gpants, 120 biodegradable refills, and 12 cloth inserts. I spent $160 if you don't count the incentive. This roughly equates to 4 months of disposables. So I figure, try it for 4 months, if I love it, then I have saved a ton of money by keeping her in the gpants for the remainder of my diapering career. If not, when my time is up I will go back to disposables.

Day 1 - Consisted entirely of washing the cloth inserts. They recommend that you wash and dry them 6 times prior to the first wear for maximum absorbency. I made it to 4 and then gave up.

Day 2 (today)- With my only 4 times pre-washed diapers, I slapped them on the baby butt with ease. It was so simple to snap in the plastic liner then tuck in the insert. Then velcro to the baby. Well done Gdiapers and me for not failing at this simple task. Then I decided to do a test to see how long the diapers would hold. I made it 4 hours then she pooped. I undid the diaper wiggled the poo into the toilet and that was that. New diaper, same test. At 4.5 hours she leaked out the sides. I think I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment